Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Wheelin' & Dealin'

Happy Valentines to You!
I am sorry that it has been so long since my last entry but something has been a brewing for the last 2 weeks and I have been all consumed with the possible outcomes. It all stems around my ever changing job & co-workers. My old boss, who I am not really fond of but of course this is just one-sided, is working for a different company that is promoting positions of growth & opportunity within his company. At first, upon hearing that he was even interested in hiring me, I was turned off. “Never again, will I work with that man again.” But as all things, time has changed my mind. Well, change and the fact that I got word last week that my current position with my company was being re-located to a city 23 miles away, but a 1 hour & 15 mins drive. There goes my nice corner office and 20 min drive time. So I did what any person faced with a total of 11 ½ hours of week of commuting would do….I started to call in the favors. I sent out resumes and blew-up my cell phone making calls to people to see if anyone knew of jobs closer to home for me. So now my tune of “Never again” started to change to “Well, if the opportunity is right”. The co-worker that I have been at this company with the longest has just decided to make a move and is going with the “old boss”. Even as I write this another former co-worker has called to “check-in“ with me to see how & what I am up to. I went today to have my first job interview in 3 years. My “old boss” greeted me at the door, fully aware of my interview w/ the company. (I didn’t call him for the interview, I called the woman who is to be my manager, in my mind it left him out of the equation all-together.) But there he was smiling & greeting me warmly and after a brief second of pleasantries he told me to call him after my appointment “‘cause if you want the job it is yours”. What a weird experience that is. I certainly didn’t let him see any of my cards, like the big move (even though he alluded to a change), but let the interviewer know that I was interested. There have been 2 instances in my life where I got a job without a recommendation from a friend or family member that was not already working for the company. Interestingly enough, I really liked those jobs. Maybe I put more of an effort into them, wanted to prove myself…not really sure. It is a completely different feeling walking into an interviewer’s office just after someone has told you that all you have to do is say the word and the job is yours. (It is also strange to not bring a reference list with your resume, because by next week there will be a total of 5 of my co-workers working in that office. I basically joked with the interviewer after the second one came in to say “Hi”, that I could just point my references out to her if she liked.) There is a lot of opportunity it appears for me to grow at this new company, I think my final decision will come after there is an offer letter with a $ amount attached to it. I will keep you posted…
See you tomorrow blog,
Anita

1 comment:

SoonerScotty said...

"Anita Aloud"

OR

"Anita Quiet" ????

BTW, I tagged you at A Catholic Sooner